The Bible makes it clear that while God's forgiveness is free, it must be received. Like any gift, you don't take possession of it until you receive it.
Believing involves an act of faith, but not blind faith. It is putting our trust in a person. In some ways it is like the step of faith taken by a bride and a bridegroom when they say "I will" on their wedding day. You don't say yes until you know a bit about who you're marrying!
So who really is Jesus? A lot of people like Jesus as a good teacher. But the Bible says He's so much more than that.
WHAT DID JESUS CLAIM ABOUT HIMSELF? (WHO IS JESUS?)
- He claimed to live a sinless life (John 8:46-47)
- He claimed to be the ONLY way to God (John 14:6)
- He claimed to have shared the glory of God in Heaven (John 1:1-5)
- He claimed to be able to forgive sins (Luke 5:20-21)
- He claimed to be a Heavenly king (John 18:36-37)
- He claimed to be able to give everlasting life (John 6:47)
- He claimed that he would die and come back to life (Luke 18:31-33)
- He claimed that he would return again to judge the world (Matthew 25:31-32)
SO HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THE CLAIMS OF JESUS? (HOW CAN I BECOME A CHRISTIAN?)
That really is the most important question you will ever face. Billions of people have acknowledged Jesus as
God and bowed the knee to Him. How do you do that?
The key is three things: Sorry. . . Thank-you. . . Please
You have to ask God to forgive you for all the things you have done wrong and turn from everything that you know is wrong in your life. That is what the Bible means by "repentance".
You believe that Jesus died for you on the cross. You need to thank Him for dying for you and for the offer of His free gifts of forgiveness, freedom, and His Spirit.
God never forces His way into our lives. You need to accept His gift and invite Him to come and live within you by His Spirit.
Every individual needs to make a personal decision to follow Jesus Christ. We become Christians by making a conscious choice to surrender our lives to God.
You can do this right now if you wish.
- Admitting that I have sinned and need forgiveness.
- Believing that Jesus Christ has died for our sins.
- Accepting His forgiveness for and turning away from our sin.
- Receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, by faith.
"Oh God, I acknowledge that I have sinned against you. I am sorry for my sins, and I am willing to turn away from them. I accept your forgiveness of my sins. I now receive Jesus Christ as my Savior, and accept Him as Lord of my life. From this moment on, I will live for Him. In Jesus' name, Amen."
If you have prayed this prayer to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you are now a child of God!
It is important that when you receive Christ's love and forgiveness you tell someone about it as soon as possible. Tell one or two close friends. It will help seal this act of faith in your mind and heart. We would also love to hear from you. You can e-mail us here at Bethel Church, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (907) 479-4380.Read More: I'm a Christian, What's Next?